Nobel Prize For Economics Goes To....
Stanford University professors Paul Milgrom and Robert Wilson were awarded the Nobel Prize "for improvements to auction theory and inventions of new auction formats." Watch the video, then research online and find answers to the following questions:
1. When was the Nobel Prize for economics first awarded?
2. Which institution established this Nobel Prize "category" and why?
3. Select one of the people who got the Nobel Prize for economics. Then prepare a short introductory speech about him/her. Explain why he/she got the prize and why you think the work is important.
Does Age Matter?
Finland has probably the youngest prime minister and government leadership in the world. Watch the video and prepare answers to the following questions:
1. Does it matter how old a prime minister or president is? If yes, why? If not, why not?
2. How old are leaders in your country? Why does it matter? Or why does it NOT mater?
3. People in most countries can vote from the age of 18. Should younger people be allowed to vote? Or, o the contrary, should the voting age be higher?
Old Enough To Smoke?
In 2019, the US government raised the legal age to buy tobacco and e-cigarettes to 21. Watch the Fox News video:
Vocabulary: libertarians, law enforcement, vaping.
1. What does the report identify as a problem in enforcing the law?
2. What is the legal age to buy tobacco in your country? Is the law to stop young people from smoking enforced in your country?
3. Why do the libertarians oppose the law?
4. What do you think about vaping
How Old Do You Need To Be To Fly?
Maksim Ferguson is the youngest person in the United Kingdom to earn his "C" wings (permission to fly civilian planes). Watch the video and answer:
1. How old was Maksim when he started flying?
2. How old do you have to be to fly solo in the UK?
3. How long will Maksim have to wait to get his pilot license?
General questions: Do you have a driver's license? How old do you have to be to get a driver's license for various vehicles?
Encyclopaedia Britannica: Aging
Then write down 5 most interesting facts that you have learned in "bullet points":
After you have finished, you will present these facts to the other students and explain why you find them interesting.
Last But Not Least: Topic For Essay
Write an essay on the following topic
Age and responsibility: how old should be the youngest soldiers?
Can 16 year-olds be soldiers? Should they be at least 18? 21? Or even older? What do you think? And why?
The essay will be between 300 and 500 words long. Please send it by Friday, October 16, 6 pm.